New Bern Truck Accident Lawyer
Truck Accident Lawyers in New Bern, NC
There are millions of trucks on the road each day traveling to destinations all over the nation. While these trucks are a sign of commerce on the road, they also have the potential to cause an accident with your vehicle when you are driving. The massive force behind these trucks can cause injury and damage your personal property beyond repair. You need help and a truck accident attorney in New Bern, NC, can help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Hiring A Truck Accident Lawyer In New Bern, NC
When involved in a crash with a truck that is hauling a heavy load, an injury most certainly will occur to you or loved one riding in your vehicle. There is no reason you should have to bear the responsibility of paying for your medical treatment from these injuries. You may also lose out on pay and need additional medical care into the future. A truck accident lawyer in New Bern, NC, can fight to get you a settlement that covers these losses and helps you get back on the road to recovery.
When you hire truck accident attorneys to help with your legal case after a truck crash, you are working with a team of lawyers that know the law and can help you win your case. Many of the trucks on the road today are owned by large trucking companies that have powerful legal teams that work daily to prevent claims against these corporations. Your truck accident attorneys can fight these large trucking companies to get you a settlement that is fair and accurately reflects the injuries you sustained from a truck crash.
Your truck accident lawyer in New Bern, NC, will represent you and work with these trucking companies’ insurance company to get you compensation for your injuries. Fighting against a large truck company on your own can be difficult and frustrating. You may feel like you are getting nowhere fast. They may place the blame on you for the accident and try to prevent you from getting a settlement to pay for your injuries or property damages.
Your Uber truck accident attorney will not stop until you have the compensation you deserve. They can help you understand your legal rights in a truck accident and work to develop a strong case to win in court. You do not have to take on these trucking companies alone. A truck accident lawyer is there to provide you the legal support you need and to expedite the process of collecting a settlement.
You can count on your truck accident attorneys in New Bern, NC, to protect your legal rights and prove negligence of truck driver that was at fault for your crash. Let your truck accident lawyers work for you. They can provide you the legal support you need to win your case and collect the maximum settlement for your injuries and property damages.
Filing A Truck Accident Lawsuit In New Bern, NC
There are laws in New Bern, NC, that limit the amount of time you have to file a lawsuit against a truck driver or a trucking firm. These statutes of limitations set a deadline of three years from the date of the accident to file a suit in court where injury has occurred. When property damages are involved, you also have three years from the date of the accident to file your lawsuit.
For this reason, it is important that you speak with a truck accident lawyer in New Bern, NC, as soon as possible about your case. They can help you determine if negligence was at play and if you have a right to a settlement in court.
Bear in mind that three years may seem like a long duration of time to file a lawsuit against a trucking company, but the time goes very quickly. Your truck accident lawyer needs to investigate your claims and build a case against a truck driver that was at fault for the crash.
A truck accident attorney will also work to negotiate your injury and property damage claims with an insurance company before recommending that you file a lawsuit. Your truck accident attorneys will work hard to settle your claim with an insurance company to prevent a lawsuit. They know that the process can be difficult and time-consuming for many to bear and your truck accident lawyers want to settle your case as quickly as possible, so you can financially have the means you need to cover your growing medical costs and lost wages from work.
Only when your truck accident lawyer in New Bern, NC, is unable to reach a fair settlement with an insurance company will they file a lawsuit on your behalf in court. This is the only way to receive the maximum compensation you deserve for your injuries and property damages.
Keep in mind that you do need to speak to your truck accident attorney immediately after your accident to get the wheels in motion for your injury and property damage claims. Filing a lawsuit after the three-year deadline will cause the dismissal of your case without a settlement award. You would then be responsible for paying your own medical bills and have no recovery of the wages you lost out on due to your injuries from the crash.
Compensation In A Truck Accident Case In New Bern, NC
Your injuries, as well as your property damages, deserve compensation after a truck crash. When the driver of a truck is negligent and causes a crash, you deserve a settlement award for your damages. There are a variety of losses that you can claim as part of your settlement award and a truck accident lawyer in New Bern, NC, can help you determine which damages you qualify for in your case. Here are some of the common truck accident compensation options.
- Medical costs: You have a right to collect compensation for any medical treatment you would need for the injuries you sustained in a truck crash. This includes all necessary and required medical care immediately after the accident, during your recovery, and into the future. Your truck accident lawyer will fight to get this compensation, so you do not have to cover the expense of your medical bills.
- Lost wages: Your recovery time after a truck accident may mean that you missed time from work and lost out on wages. These earnings are recoverable as part of your settlement award. You deserve compensation for any lost wages you missed after the accident and any wages you will lose out on in the future due to your injuries. Your truck accident lawyers in New Bern, NC, will help you recover these lost wages in your case and get you the compensation you deserve to cover these losses.
- Property damages: When your vehicle impacts with a truck, there is no doubt damage that needs repair or replacement. A settlement award covers the damage that occurred to your vehicle from a truck crash. This can help you replace or repair your property after an accident so you can get back on the road again. Your truck accident attorneys can help you calculate your property losses and request these damages as part of your total settlement award.
- Pain and suffering: Many times, the events of a truck accident are emotionally scarring. They can cause mental anguish that is too much to bear. Your truck accident lawyer in New Bern, NC, can fight to get you pain and suffering compensation for your injuries after a crash. You do not have to suffer in silence when a settlement can help you move forward after a traumatic truck accident. The limit on pain and suffering damages in New Bern, NC, is $500,000.
- Punitive damages: If a truck driver engages in dangerous driving behaviors that put you at risk without cause, the judge may order punitive damages in your case. These damages punish a truck driver or trucking company financially and prevent others from engaging in the same activities because of the hefty price tag associated with it. Your truck accident lawyers can help you understand if your case qualifies for punitive damages. The limit on punitive damages in New Bern, NC, is $250,000 or three times the total settlement award.
Proving Fault In A Truck Accident In New Bern, NC
Proving negligence in a truck accident case is important to ensure you receive the maximum settlement for your injuries. Your truck accident attorney in New Bern, NC, will work to build a case against a negligent truck driver to limit your amount of fault for a crash. New Bern, NC, uses a partial at fault law in determining settlement awards and your percentage of negligence in a crash is taken into account with the final compensation offered.
Your truck accident lawyers will use all tools available to them to investigate a crash and prove that you have reduced negligence for the crash. Using police reports and talking to witnesses, your truck accident attorneys are able to show negligence of a truck driver in a crash. They can prove the extent of your injuries and show the extreme damage to your vehicle.
Reducing your negligence in a crash can help you receive a greater settlement award. Any percentage that you are negligent in a crash is reduced from your total compensation, reducing the potential for a full settlement award. You need to trust in your truck accident lawyers in New Bern, NC, to establish the majority of negligence with a truck driver. This will help you receive full compensation for your injuries and property damages.
When your negligence in a crash is 50 percent or more, there is not a settlement award, making it even more important that you have a truck accident lawyer on your side that will win your case. You need legal representation you can count on and know that your legal rights are protected every step of the way in your crash case.
What To Do In A Truck Accident In New Bern, NC
If involved in a truck accident, you need to take the necessary steps to preserve your case. Follow these steps after a truck crash and be sure to speak to a truck accident lawyer immediately after seeking medical attention.
- Call for emergency medical care
- Call the police
- Exchange contact information
- Do not admit blame
- Take pictures
- Talk to witnesses
- Call your insurance company
- Talk to a truck accident lawyer in New Bern, NC
Common Truck Accident Causes In New Bern, NC
While every truck accident is unique, there are some similarities as to why a truck crash occurs and the causes of these accidents. Many times, a truck driver is at fault for the crash because of the poor driving decisions they made. Keep these common truck accident causes in mind as you drive. They can help prevent you from getting into a crash if you are able to spot them early.
- Impaired drivers: Truck drivers that are under the influence of drugs or alcohol are negligent for a crash that happens with your vehicle. Driving while impaired is illegal and it puts everyone on the road at risk. Truck drivers may swerve into oncoming traffic or not be able to stop in enough time due to delayed reactions. If you suspect the truck driver that hit your vehicle was under the influence, you need to notify the authorities and discuss this factor with your truck accident attorney in New Bern, NC.
- Fatigued drivers: Truck drivers spend many hours on the road driving. They need to get to their destination in time and may run long hours where they become fatigued. There are laws in place that limit the number of hours a truck driver can spend on the road driving. If fatigued driving is the cause of your crash, your truck accident lawyers will be able to examine log records to determine how long a truck driver was driving. Let your truck accident attorney know if you think fatigue played a role in your crash.
- Distracted drivers: With so many digital devices taking control over our lives, it is not surprising that truck drivers are consumed with these devices as they drive. The truck driver may be talking on the phone or texting which can cause them to take their attention away from the road. Other distractions such as eating or drinking can also divert a driver’s attention and cause an accident where someone is injured. When distracted driving causes your crash, you need to speak to a truck accident lawyer about your case.
- Overloaded trucks: Truck drivers are also responsible for making sure their trucks are loaded only to the rated capacity of the vehicle. Overloaded trucks can tip or have trouble stopping, which can lead to a deadly accident based on the sheer weight of the truck traveling towards your vehicle. Your truck accident attorneys in New Bern, NC, will check the weight rating of the truck against the driver’s load paperwork to see if this contributed to your crash.
- Speeding drivers: Truck drivers that do not obey the speed limit are a deadly combination on the road. They need additional distance to stop their truck especially if it is fully loaded. Disobeying the speed limit is illegal and negligent behavior that can cause an accident. If you notice a truck driver that is driving above the speed limit, steer clear of their truck and prepare for an accident to occur. Speak to your truck accident lawyer about this common cause of truck crashes.
- Improperly maintained trucks: Every truck fleet is responsible for making sure that all company trucks are operating correctly at all times. This means that the brakes are working properly and that tires have plenty of treads. An improperly maintained truck can cause a loss of control of the vehicle and create an accident where someone is injured. If improper truck maintenance caused your crash, you need to speak with a truck accident lawyer about your case immediately.
- Too fast for conditions: If the weather is poor, truck drivers need to proceed with caution. Their vehicle can create an accident by driving too fast when roadways are wet or icy. Additional caution also needs to be taken during reduced visibility in rain or fog. When truck drivers ignore these precautions, they can cause an accident with severe injuries. Let your truck accident lawyer in New Bern, NC, know that the weather and poor driving was the cause of your crash.
Contact A Truck Accident Attorney Today!
When involved in a truck crash, you need a truck accident attorney you can count on to help you with your case. The truck accident lawyers at the Carolina Law Group are ready to assist you with your injury and property damage claims. They will fight for your legal rights and get you the compensation you deserve after a truck crash has hurt you or a loved one. Contact us today to set up a consultation.